Banner ads are not a new option for advertisers. With a history of ineffective, low-quality, programmatic offerings in the landscape, many marketers have become biased against banner ads. Programmatic is often perceived as ineffective or easily ignored. While some banner ads can fall into these categories, there are steps you can take to make sure your banner ads cut through the noise. Below are 5 ways you can improve your banner ads and start seeing meaningful results.
- Refine your targeting to your desired audience. Banner ads can only do as much for your business as the audience you’re targeting. Many approach banner ads with the mindset that the only goal is placement on the most well-known and universally visited websites. This strategy can lead to thousands of views, but only a portion of them belong to individuals who would have an interest in your business. At Awarity, we place your banner ads only in geography relevant to your business and on websites that over-index to your target customer.
- Make your messaging concise. People may only give your banner ad a quick glance, which is why it’s important to make sure everything you need to tell them can be absorbed in just a few seconds. It’s tempting to mention all the benefits your service or product may have. Condensing your message to three key points at most can help your business stand out in programmatic placements and make your brand more memorable.
- Build creative that stands out. What’s more compelling than a static image? A moving one. Animated ads help your business catch the attention of your audience. Using high-contrast designs or bright colors can also draw attention, as many programmatic placements are surrounded by white website backgrounds.
- Push viewers towards your site with a call to action. You can tell an audience as much as you want to about your business, but if you don't leave them with an action to take, the time they take to visit your website may be slower than desired. The right offer or call to action can make them more likely to click or search for your website in the future.
- Assess your DSP or programmatic provider. Running a banner ad campaign with programmatic advertising has historically produced mixed results. At Awarity, we redefined the way media is purchased and placed via the open ad exchanges with a focus on delivering the highest quality impression at the lowest possible cost. This includes using new methods to reach target consumers that avoid costly and ineffective 3rd party data. Our AI based media buying system allows you to set up granular campaigns by the zip code and continuously implements campaign optimizations faster and with greater depth than a traditional media buyer could. With these tools and further customization options within Awarity Campaign Central, we make it easy for you to harness the full power of the open ad exchanges.
If you take these steps with your programmatic advertising, you’ll find that banner ads can be a more effective, affordable, and easy form of awareness advertising than alternatives. To learn more about starting a programmatic campaign with Awarity, visit our Banner Ads page.